The applicant of the Bachelor Degree in History have the following characteristics:
Social sciences and humanities.
Socio-cultural context of the region.
National and international socio-historic context.
Oral and written communication.
Handling of computer packages.
Organization of academic activities.
Critical reading and comprehension reading.
Logical and coherent reasoning.
Tolerance to diversity of opinions.
Search for truth.
Respect for other cultures and ways of thinking.
Interest in current and past issues.
1. The future professional in History will be able to analyse the past and the world historical change; as well as the national and regional historical change, using a balanced and systematic way. This analysis would permit to emit opinions, and preserve values and social identity.
2. The professional in History will be able to analyse the historical processes according to the theoretical-methodology of this discipline. This analysis has the intention to contribute with the construction and convey of knowledge.
3. The professional performs research, by analyzing the theoretical-methodological approaches of the humanities and social sciences. Providing knowledge in various areas of History (thus achieving an understanding of the past and its relation to present.)
4. He or she will be able to develop criteria and didactic techniques in teaching History in multidisciplinary groups to promote reflection on historical processes. Using pedagogical tools according to the needs of the community where it develops its professional practice.
5. They will be able to own the capacity to intervene in cultural problems through the design and implementation of management projects. This has the intention to encourage institutional and social participants for conservation, dissemination and interpretation of cultural and natural heritage.
6. The dissemination of historical knowledge (all to promote the social responsibility of being a professional.)
The Graduated of the Bachelor Degree in History can work in the following professional fields:
Coordinate historic projects in:
1. Federal Government.
2. State Government.
3. Municipal Government.
4. Decentralized bodies.
1. Political parties.
2. Chamber (politic issues.)
3. Non-Profit Associations.
4. Employers' associations.
5. Foundations and non-governmental organizations.
Carry out research and dissemination projects in:
1. Massive communication means.
2. Cultural Industries.
1. Medium-superior level.
2. Superior Professional level.
1. Consultant and advisor.
The Bachelor Degree in History was accredited, in 2005-2, as an educational program of quality, according to an statement of the Asociación para la Acreditación y Certificación en Ciencias Sociales (ACCECISO, for its acronym in Spanish.) This is an extern organism which evaluates the quality of higher education of Social Sciences in Mexico.
This Faculty started its activities on August 1996 with four Bachelor Degrees: English Language and Literature, Spanish Language and Literature, History, and Philosophy. The headquarters of this project was the UABC high school in the colonia Juárez.
According to its nature and orientation, the Faculty of Humanities is the only alternative of higher education in Baja California which offers an academic space for the study of these disciplines. During its twenty-five years, it has maintained its educational offer by modifying it according to the needs of its environment. For that reason, in 1990-2, the Bachelor Degree in English Language and Literature was removed from the academic program. Then, in 1991-1 the Bachelor Degree in Communication was included. In 1992, during the management of Dr. Luis Llórenz Báez, this Faculty was moved to its current place: campus Otay.
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, within the framework of the University Reform and the expansion of its educational offer, included the Pedagogical Programs. This programs mainly aimed with the training of teaching professionals to attend basic (secondary) and upper-secondary educational levels (high school). This work proposal was made with the formulation of their study plans in 2004. In August, 2009 the Faculty began offering the Bachelor Degree in Sociology.
Since its beginnings, the Faculty of Humanities has been a forum for the presentation of the most important academics, writers and intellectuals of Mexico and other countries.
Following UABC's conviction of being accountable to our society, its four degrees were evaluated by external academic outside experts, achieving in January 2006 that Communication and History were accredited as good quality educational programs by the Asociación para la Acreditación y Certificación en Ciencias Sociales (ACCECISO, for its acronym in Spanish) In July, 2006, Language and Literature of Hispanic America and Philosophy were recognized as level one educational programs by the Comité de Educación, Arte y Humanidades de los Comités Interinstitucionales para la Evaluación de la Educación Superior (CIEES, for its acronym in Spanish) Finally, Teaching of Language and Literature, Teaching of Mathematics and Psycho-pedagogical Counselling obtained accreditation from the Comité para la Evaluación de Programas de Pedagogía y Educación (CEPPE, for its acronym in Spanish). As a result of all the accreditations, more than ninety percent of its Student population attends undergraduate studies in programs recognized for their good quality and in the process of continuous improvement.
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, has resumed the successes, continued the best efforts of its executives and generations of graduates. Therefore, it has an adequate infrastructure and technologically updated equipment for the performance of its functions. Its graduates are placed in the main educational institutions, cultural and media of the region. In 2002, in co-production with the Centro Cultural Tijuana (CECUT, for its acronym in Spanish), this academic unit produced two programs, one radio (Parallel Cultural, which was transmitted by Radio University), and another television (Culture to Frame, transmitted by channel 21 of cable In Tijuana), of which, the second continues being carried out weekly by students and professors of its eight Bachelor Degrees. All this is possible thanks to the support of the university authorities.
Both programs are examples of the creative and technical capacity of our University students, showing the chronicle of cultural life of Baja California during the last five years.
Translated by: Martha Gutiérrez and Gloria Sotomayor
Facultad de Idiomas